Saturday, January 8, 2011

Winter Morning at Lake Loveland

Niamh Throwing Dirt
Tomorrow it's supposed to get pretty cold for a few days, so I figured today would be a good day to get the kids out of the house for a bit. The lake is pretty well frozen over, and there were even people out in the middle of it, but I was too nervous to let the kids go out much further than Niamh is in the above photo. It's been warmish the past couple days and I couldn't stop thinking about books I'd read as a child where someone would go through the ice on a frozen lake/pond.

There was a lot of this:

Muriel Jumping on the Lake

Which of course led to some of this:
Slippery Ice

But I don't think it bothered them much.
rowan in the middle of loveland lake

We even spotted some wildlife on the other side of the street. As we were watching the big flock of geese/ducks/birds a man came up to me and excitedly showed me the wood duck he spotted which he hadn't seen in years. I'm afraid it was lost on me, but I figured I had better take a picture for Bumpa.

Wood Duck

The kids were much more excited about the fat, round squirrel who was scampering through the snow and up the trees. We saw ducks and geese all the time at the lake in Morges, but I don't think we ever once saw a squirrel, which still seems strange to me.

A Squirrel!

1 comment:

  1. The only place I ever saw squirrels here in Europe is London. RIght in the middle of the city. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete