Sunday, January 23, 2011

Chocolate Pie For All

Chocolate Pie

Happy National Pie Day! Okay, I'm not really that on top of things. Nor do I really care that much that it's National Pie Day, as much as I love pie. But I happened to see it mentioned on Facebook as I was preparing to write this post, and thought it was a mildy interesting coincidence.

Anyway, In summer of 2001 Pat and I discovered one of our favorite desserts in the May/June issue of Cook's Illustrated. Their chocolate cream pie became something we made for many, many special and not-so-special occasions. After Niamh was old enough to care if she was eating the same dessert as us or not we stopped making it very often because of the eggs. But then (!!!!) a week or so ago I saw a vanilla pudding post on Smitten Kitchen which led me over to her chocolate pudding and chocolate pudding pie recipes. Both eggless! I don't know why it never occurred to me that puddings can be made without eggs.

I made the pudding straight away, but waited until Pat returned from his latest business trip before making the pie. I ended up using the crust recipe from CI (slightly adapted), and the pudding from SK. The pie turned out really great, but Pat and I both agreed that it didn't seem quite as chocolate-y as the CI custard/pudding recipe. I think next time I'll add the chocolate according the the CI recipe.

All in all, thumbs up. It was the perfect addition to movie night on Friday. And we're thrilled to be able to make our favorite (one of, that is) dessert again!

Movie Night Pile Up
clearly, not everyone was riveted by Astro Boy

4 comments:

  1. It looks so good. I always think of chocolate pie as pudding with graham crackers, so I don't select it and have never made it. The picture makes it look like so much more. . . may have to find the CI recipe.
    Glad to see the other adult home with the kidlets piled on top of him :)

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just coming over here from Francesca's blog, and loving ALL your photos, but this last one is just priceless!

    ReplyDelete