Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wintery Math

fence + snow haze

+

Cream


=


(square) snow ice cream
snow ice cream!

It snowed Thursday night and almost all day on Friday, giving us the opportunity to make snow ice cream. There are a gazillion recipes out there on the internet, and they are all basically the same. I used two different methods, one with cream (minus the vanilla pudding mix) and one with chilled sweetened condensed milk. I thought the ice cream with the condensed milk would be better, but neither the kids or I could taste a difference. Maybe a side by side test is in order for the next time it snows. One thing I found helpful, which neither website mentions, is to make sure the individual bowls for the ice cream have been chilled for a bit in the freezer before serving. This ice cream melts fast and the chilled bowls help slow it down a bit.

One of my clearest memories of the Thanksgivings spent at my Great-Grandmother's house in Eastern Washington as a child is making snow ice cream with my sisters and cousins. It was fun to do again!

5 comments:

  1. Love it Em!! Making ice Cream at Grandma Buck's was so fun, but yours looks way better then the goopy brown mess I remember we created!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how come I don't remember that? Looks like you had fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha-that's funny that all of us have different memories of it. i don't remember particularly how it looked or tasted, just that it was fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice how childhood memories often involve grandparents and/or making food or other things. Personally, I can't wait for warmer whether so that we can make some gelato :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! Growing up we used to just go out back with said bowl, bring it in and pour maple syrup on the snow...et voila, grab a spoon and enjoy! ;-) PS. Just saw the goldfish recipe - looking forward to having more time at home to try out some of your amazing recipes on here!!!

    ReplyDelete